Your needs and goals
Since everything we do is custom-tailored to your circumstances and objectives, the first step we take is to learn about you. During our initial consultation, we discuss:
- Your general concerns and goals. For example:
- What brings you in right now?
- What is keeping you up at night?
- Did something happen recently, or is something coming up that has made this process more urgent?
- Your family and how family relationships may affect the choices you wish to make
- A snapshot view of your current finances, including:
- Retirement accounts;
- Real estate;
- Business interests; and
- Mortgages, loans, and other debts.
- Any prior estate planning that you’ve done
We’ll talk about:
- The fundamental estate documents, such as the Will, Power of Attorney, and health directives;
- How to choose executors, trustees, guardians, etc.;
- How to protect your children’s inheritance from being squandered due to poor spending habits, substance abuse, or divorce;
- The potential cost to your family—in terms of federal and state estate taxes—of doing nothing;
- If you’re a business owner, the importance of creating a succession plan that protects you and your family in case of retirement, divorce, incapacitation, or death; and
- The devastating costs of not planning for long-term care.
Our goal is to help you understand the scope of comprehensive estate planning, and to make you feel confident that together, we can create the customized plan that is right for you.